next year with a 39% CAGR according to a new report from Forrester Research. Article.
EBay Inc. CEO John Donahoe said that eBay mobile global sales will double year-over-year, reaching approximately $4 billion in mobile gross merchandise volume by the end of 2011. Article.
The battle between handset makers and wireless carriers over mobile-payment data is a precursor to a larger war over who owns consumers making transactions using mobile devices. More.
Generation Y isnt just leaving parents behind when it comes to shopping using their mobile phones. Retailers too, are struggling to keep up with them. USA Today has an in-depth look at the shopping habits of digital millennials, as this age group is being called, who want the ability now to search for an item on their phone and to buy it.
What will drive m-commerce in 2008?
- Text promotions – driving mobile marketing
- Mobile coupons – driving a call to action and buying
- Mobile search – driving comparison of products and shops
- Mobile social networks – driving peer opinions for shopping
Different perspectives quoting:
- a marketing expert: Generation Y expect "on-demand experiences!"
- a 16-year-old kid: "I have a computer in my room, but I’m not usually home."
- a mobile executive: "Many teens rarely use e-mail, favoring text messaging…"
It is clear that text messaging or sms and Mobiya’s focus on text messaging to stimulate buying and selling, anywhere, anytime, combined with our opt-in and real-time sms inventory that drives text message marketing campaigns will generate the necessary traffic for viable m-commerce. Mobiya’s early adoption of mobile payments will allow Mobiya to convert the sms traffic into direct payments.